Customer Support Contractor (Low Hours)
This role will require that someone be available in the mid to late afternoon in Pacific Time (within the range of 2pm to 5pm) for 1.5-2 hours, once a week. Other hours may be available acting as backup for colleagues on an irregular basis. If either your schedule or your time zone doesn't allow for that, keep watching our pages for future opportunities to work together!
We're looking for someone with excellent written communication skills and the ability to help with sometimes tricky problems. Some experience with customer support may be helpful but is not required. If that sounds like you, read on!
- A self-employed contractor who can provide some user support on one afternoon per week (Pacific Time)
- Must be willing to use Beeminder, at least for work-related goals, in order to gain familiarity with the tool (we'll give you premium credit which you can use for $0 pledges if you prefer)
- For training purposes, must initially be available around 10:00am in PT
- Facility, persistence, and patience with learning new and unusual systems
- Willingness to try things out for yourself in order to fully understand a problem
- Comfortable with holding people accountable to past commitments (if you can't say "no", this role isn't for you!)
- Comfortable working remotely with a fully distributed team, for which most of the interactions are over text messages, forum posts, or emails.
Optional things that are good to have:
- Familiarity with the tools we use for support (particularly Slack and Help Scout) is useful but not required.
- Prior familiarity with Beeminder.
- Familiarity with the tools Beeminder integrates with (Trello, Todoist, GitHub, Twitter, Duolingo, etc).
- Experience providing written customer service and support.
We're looking for someone who will charge about $18 (USD). They will also receive enough site credit to get our highest premium plan approximately free.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know:
- Why you think you'd be good in this role (in under 250 words)
- What experience you've had with similar or related tasks (either in traditional resume format or in paragraph format is equally good; under 350 words is preferable)
- Read the “Don’t just offer help, ask for it” section of our “Behind the Curtain” blog post and then write a short response to the user in the following fictional scenario. (You don't have to look anything technical up on our website; you can just invent a “button C” that fixes everything, if you'd like. We just want to get a sense of what tone you're inclined to take.) A good answer can be given in under 100 words.
Assume that this is the 5th or 6th time in as many weeks that this particular user has emailed with a request of this type, usually for multiple of their goals at the same time. It costs Beeminder about $2.75 in processing fees to refund when a cancelation within 24 hours would have been costless, so if all of our users did this, we'd eventually be in trouble, but we don't ever want to take someone's money when it's unfair.
"Hi! I'm really sorry, I got confused again and pressed button A instead of button B. I know there's a way to fix this myself but I don't have time and I always get confused, so can you get it sorted out for me? And I need the charge refunded as well. Thanks!"