Example Goal: Run 3 times per week
There are a few different ways you can set up a running goal with Beeminder!
First, you'll want to decide what the metric is you care about most. Do you want to commit to running a certain number of minutes per week? Do you care more about reaching a certain weekly mileage? Or maybe you just want to get outside and track the number of runs, regardless of how easy or hard they might be. This will dictate the type of goal you set up and how you enter your data, so try to pick the one you care about most! If you care a lot about multiple metrics, you can set up multiple goals to make sure you stay on track for both of them.
Next, you'll want to decide whether you'll be entering data manually or using another device to report the data to Beeminder automatically. We highly recommend using an automatic data source if you have one - worry more about running and less about remembering to update your data all the time!
We have direct integrations with Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Health, and RunKeeper fitness trackers. If your preferred service isn't in that list, you might also want to check IFTTT and Zapier to see if it's covered there; both of those services can be used to automatically send data from an outside service to a Beeminder goal. (Note that not all of the integrations support every metric listed above -- for example, Fitbit does not track distance.)
If you've opted to use an automatic data source, follow the link for your device to get goal setup instructions. If you're going to enter data manually, keep reading!
Manual-entry running miles goal setup
- Head to create a new goal (also accessible through the New Goal link in the top menu).
- Click the + icon to start a new manual entry goal.
- Select Do More as your goal type (because you want to Do More mileage).
- Enter the units you want to use and the amount you want to commit to. In this example, I'm aiming to run 6 miles per week, which is the same as a goal to run 0.86 miles per day. If you're using a different metric, fill in the fields differently!
If you want to delay your goal's start a few days (maybe you're traveling this weekend), be sure to tick the Start this goal with extra leeway box. Enter the number of days you want to delay and press Continue.
- Give your goal a brief name. If you want, you can also write a short description with more information.
- Finally, choose your initial pledge. This is the amount you will pay the first time you derail on the goal. After derailing, the pledge will increase by default - use the checkbox and +/- stepper below to control how high it goes. In the example below, I have chosen to start at a $5 pledge, which will increase each time I derail, until it reaches $30 - the pledge cap. (To read more about pledges and payments, check out some FAQs here!)
- And now my goal is ready to go! I'll need to go for my first run in 4 days to avoid paying Beeminder my first $5!