What can I beemind with URLminder?
URLminder fetches the word count of one or more URLs on the web. Most users use Google Docs or Dropbox to host their writing, but any plain-text, publicly accessible link will do.
Can I beemind private documents with URLminder?
Yes, "publicly accessible link" doesn't mean a public document. Things like Google Docs and Dropbox have a "share with link" option and the URL is essentially a password.
How do I get a sharable link from Google Docs or Dropbox?
See our blog post: Newbee Corner: Beemind Your Writing (By Word Count, Automatically)
The datapoint from URLminder is way different than my actual word count.
The most common cause of this is that you're not minding a plain-text document, and Beeminder is including the page markup as words you've written. You can continue beeminding the goal if the discrepancy doesn't bother you. To get perfectly accurate data, though, you'll need to update the URL in the goal settings to use a plain-text version.
Can I change the URLs used once I've started the goal?
Yup! In the Settings tab below the graph, add or remove the URLs in the URL List section, then click the Update button to save the changes.
Bee careful when removing links — these are Odometer goals, so a sudden drop in word count may send you below the line to a beemergency day!
To get a completely fresh start, remove all URLs in the URL List and Update so that a 0 datapoint is entered. This will reset the odometer, so you can add a new URL and the smaller word count won't derail your goal!
URLminder sample goal setup
- Head to create a new goal (also accessible through the New Goal link in the top menu).
- Click the URLminder icon to start a new goal using URLminder data.
- Paste the URLs you want to track in the text box. You can paste multiple URLs (one per line) and we'll add up the words in each to create one datapoint. Once you've listed your URLs, choose the amount of words per day you'd like to commit to writing.
Lastly, if you want to delay your goal's start a few days (maybe you're traveling this weekend), be sure to tick the Start this goal with extra leeway box. Enter the number of days you want to delay and press Continue.
- Give your goal a brief name. If you want, you can also write a short description with more information.
- Finally, choose your initial pledge. This is the amount you will pay the first time you derail on the goal. After derailing, the pledge will increase by default — use the checkbox and +/- stepper below to control how high it goes.
- And that's it! You'll need to write some words in the next few days to avoid derailing on this goal.