What can I beemind with URLminder?
URLminder will fetch the word count of one or more URLs on the web. Most users use Google Docs or Dropbox to host their writing, but any plain-text, publicly-accessible link will do.
The datapoint from URLminder is way different than my actual word count.
The most common cause is that the link chosen is not a plain-text link, and Beeminder is including the page markup as words you've written. You can continue beeminding the goal if the discrepancy doesn't bother you that much. To get perfectly accurate data, though, you'll need to update the URL in the goal settings to use a plain-text version
Can I change the URLs used once I've started the goal?
Yup! In the Settings tab below the graph, add or remove the URLs in the URL List section, then click the Update button to save the changes.
Bee careful when removing links — these are Odometer goals, so a sudden drop in word count may send you below the road to a beemergency day!
To get a completely fresh start, remove all URLs in the URL List and Update so that a 0 datapoint is entered. This will reset the odometer, so you can add a new URL and the smaller word count won't derail your goal!
URLminder sample goal setup
- Head to create a new goal (also accessible through the New Goal link in the top menu).
- Click the URLminder icon to start a new goal using URLminder data.
- Paste the URLs you want to track in the text box. You can paste multiple URLs (one per line, please) and we'll add up the words in each to create one datapoint. Once you've listed your URLs, choose the amount of words per day you'd like to commit to writing.
Lastly, if you want to delay your goal's start a few days (maybe you're traveling this weekend), be sure to tick the Start this goal with extra leeway box. Enter the number of days you want to delay and press Continue.
- Give your goal a brief name. If you want, you can also write a short description with more information.
- Finally, choose your initial pledge. This is the amount you will pay the first time you derail on the goal. After derailing, the pledge will increase by default — use the checkbox and +/- stepper below to control how high it goes.
- And that's it! You'll need to write some words in the next few days to avoid derailing on this goal.