Historical note: Withings was acquired by Nokia in 2016 and became known as "Nokia Health" for a year or so. Then, amazingly, the founder bought Withings back from Nokia again in 2018 and it was back to Withings! We've been huge fans of Withings since the very beginning. In fact, this was our very first autodata integration and has been operational since before Beeminder's public launch in 2011!
What can I beemind with Withings?
You can beemind your weight, in kilograms or pounds. These goals are all weight loss by default, but we can flip a switch and turn it into a gaining goal behind the scenes if you contact support. It's best to do that when the goal is very new; an existing goal that's been around for a while might look very odd if we make such a change.
You can also beemind your fat mass, or body fat percentage. These are also loss goals by default.
Do I need to weigh in every day?
Nope, the only day it matters is your beemergency day. We think it's incredibly helpful and that you will be more successful if you weigh in daily, but it's not required.
I deleted my datapoint in Beeminder, but it came back!
Any deleted or edited datapoints in the last 7 days will be replaced with Withings's value. If this data is incorrect for any reason, you'll need to modify it in Withings directly.
Someone else stepped on my scale, and now I have a bad datapoint in my graph!
You can delete both the weigh-in in your Withings account and the datapoint in Beeminder. As long as the datapoint has been deleted in Withings, it won't come back!
How much Withings history does Beeminder access?
When you create the goal, we'll import all the available weight data, but your graph will only show data starting on the goal creation date.
My weight looks like it's reporting in kilograms, but I want it in pounds (or vice versa).
Contact support and we'll take a look! And if there was anything confusing about setting things up, or you think a bug has happened, that's really valuable for us to hear about.
Withings sample goal setup
- Head to create a new goal.
- Click the Withings icon to start a new goal using Withings data.
- Enter your current weight, then select the correct unit from the dropdown. You can also press the Fetch From Withings button to get the most recent value directly from your data. If you choose that option and you aren't already authenticated with Withings, you'll have to do that before continuing. It'll return you back to where you left off.
Here you'll also enter the most your weight can fluctuate in from one day to the next. If you know that due to water intake your weight can vary by +/- 1 kilogram in a day, then you'd enter 1 here.
Press Next. If you haven't yet authorized Beeminder to access Withings data, the button will say Connect to Withings instead and take you to a page to do just that! You will return to goal creation after.
- Give your goal a one-word name. If you want, you can also write a short description with more information.
- Fnally, choose your initial pledge. This is the amount you will pay the first time you derail on the goal. After derailing, the pledge will increase by default — use the dropdown below to control how high it goes by selecting the cap. In the example below, I have chosen to start at a $5 pledge, which will increase each time I derail, until it reaches $270 — the pledge cap. (To read more about pledges and payments, check out some FAQs!)
- You now have a goal with a gentle slope, which you probably want to edit to add your own weight loss/maintenance goal. You can do this from the "Commitment" tab under your new graph. You can set a goal date, for example, if you want to hit a certain weight by a certain date.
- And that's it! I'll probably need to watch my diet over the next couple weeks to avoid paying Beeminder my first $5.
Keywords: autodata integrations, fitness, weight loss, wifi scales