I'm trying to set up a goal with Apple Health... why have I been directed to this page?
Because it's slightly more convoluted than all our other autodata integrations. You have to create a Beeminder goal separately on the Beeminder website and then use the iOS app to send your chosen Apple Health data to Beeminder. This page explains what you can beemind with Apple Health, and how to set that up, along with some common problems people run into. Check out the "Sample Apple Health Goal setup" section below if you want to get started with creating a goal!
What metrics can I beemind with Apple Health?
- Active energy
- Exercise time
- Cycling distance
- Walking/running distance
- Nike Fuel
- Water consumed
- Time in bed
- Time asleep
- Resting energy
- Dietary energy
- Dietary protein
- Dietary sugar
- Dietary carbs
- Dietary fat
- Mindful minutes
Sample Apple Health goal setup
- You'll need to start with a plain Do More or Weight goal, so create one first. (If you need help, check out a guide.) If you've never created a goal before, you won't see the "Create Goal" link in the app itself, so you'll need to go to the Beeminder website to do this.
If you use an existing goal, Beeminder will import the last week of available data when Apple Health is connected, which will overwrite your existing data and may derail your goal. Please contact support if that happens!
- Once you've created your Do More goal, open the Beeminder iOS app and tap the ⚙ to open the app Settings. Tap Health app integration to open the integration menu.
- You should see a list of all your goals. Goals that are eligible for Apple Health sync will say Add source.... Other goals that have autodata sources configured already will list the current data source, which cannot be changed to Apple Health in this menu. (To remove an existing source in favor of Apple Health, contact support.)
- Find the goal you want to add Apple Health data to and tap its name.
- You should see a list of the available Apple Health metrics. Tap one metric one time to pair it. Press Save and you're done!
I added my data to Apple Health and it never synced up!
There are two problems that can cause this, due to Apple's restrictions on background syncing. First, you may need to open the Beeminder app every day to make sure we're able to sync up. You don't need to go to the goal itself, though if your data isn't syncing up and it's been a few hours, it's a good idea to open up the goal and tap the sync button. If the manual sync button doesn't work, definitely get in touch with us at email@example.com!
We're also restricted to doing only one background sync an hour, so if you're getting close to your deadline when you add the data to Apple Health, we may not be able to pick up on it. In that case it's a good idea to sync it up manually.
I added data for yesterday and Beeminder won't sync it up.
We can only automatically sync data for the current day, but you can go to the goal in the app and tap "sync last 7 days" to pull it in. If you have problems with that, please let us know!
See also: Beeminder iOS app