I signed up — what do I do first?
So you just joined Beeminder. Welcome! Here's what you should do first.
- You can check out some of the example goal guides linked on this page for instructions and/or inspiration, if you want to look for an idea to help you dip your toes in. You can also dig into the goal types documentation for the deep nitty-gritty details, if you're a nerd like us (though the more specialised goal types are only available with a premium account).
- Don't forget that you can start small with your goals! If you're unsure, pick something ridiculously easy for your starting rate, like -0.001 pounds per week to lose weight, or one workout every other week (a weekly rate of 0.5). You can always make it harder later if you're doing great, but starting off easy means you have time to learn the system and figure out whether you're being too ambitious.
2. Decide how often you want us to remind you about the goal
- You can visit your reminder settings to adjust how often and through what channels we remind you about your new goal(s). If you're planning a lot of goals, you might want to refine the reminders window to make sure you get reminders when it's most relevant!
- We'll send you a reminder email about this 24 hours after making the goal, too.
- You can get reminded and enter your data through our free iOS and Android apps! (You'll still need to use the website to make goal and account changes, though.) With a premium account, you can also get SMS reminders if you live in the US.
3. Make sure everything looks good in your account settings
- You might want to take a quick look at the new goal defaults and set them to what you'd like every time you create a goal. This way you won't have to redo anything after you've created all your goals. (If you want more info on what those settings mean, see the article on new goal defaults.)
- If you're going to use any autodata goals, you can go ahead and add service authorizations to speed up goal creation.
5. Create more goals to your heart's delight
- Creating unlimited goals requires a premium plan, and so do certain goal types like odometers.
- But there's no need to jump straight to a premium plan! Core Beeminder is very powerful. And you want to avoid Beeminder burnout. If you just want one or two new goals, you can request them with a click of a button on the create goal page (once you've run out of goals), and give us some feedback on how things are going for you. We're always happy to give free goals in exchange for feedback!
- You can delete goals for 7 days after creation, so feel free to experiment, break things, change your mind, accidentally cause derailments — it's all safely undone by the Delete Goal button. When you delete a goal, you can send us feedback. We'd love to hear about if there was something confusing or broken (eek!).
6. Keep reading through the help docs and let us know what's still confusing!
- Use our contact form or email firstname.lastname@example.org — we'll get back to you within 24 hours at the outside, and usually much faster!
Keywords: newbees, freebie goals